Wednesday, May 23, 2007

A slow ER?

Today we went to the ER for our clinicals, and would you believe that when we arrived, there was only one lonely patient in the entire ER? CRAZY! I've never seen it that slow! We're no trauma center or anything, but this ER serves a four county area and is typically very busy. Usually there are patients in the hall beds, fast track, and the other 45 beds are full but today... one lonely patient. I couldn't get an IV on her, it took a more experienced nurse, but I didn't feel bad given the state of her veins. I did get to start a foley and push some IV meds, so it wasn't a total loss! And eventually more patients did show up.

After clinicals, I went to see my lung specialist and see what he had to say about the current state of my lungs. My ABGs were all out of whack in a scary way, but my chest xray is looking better. He wants me to have an opn lung biopsy if I'm not improving in about 3 weeks. My family dr is setting me up another consult, though, as I'm thinking another opinion is not a bad thing in this case. I'm not a fan of surgery.

At any rate, one more set of clinicals to make it through, and a bunch of finals. Think I can...

No comments: